Saturday, August 6, 2011

Why I'm not classifying Potty Training Day 1 as a Failure

I'm exhausted. Who knew potty training would be so tiring? As Steve said, we finally got to a point where Eliza is old enough that we don't have to watch her like a hawk, as we do with Mr. I Crawl Really Fast and Open and Pull Up on EVERYTHING...and today we didn't take our eyes off of her.

So even though she went through 4 pairs of Elmo and Hello Kitty underpants, I feel okay about the day. She peed in the potty 3 times and was *really* close 2 other times. I definitely didn't expect her to get the hang in one day. Heck, I don't even know if she'll get it in one week. I still reserve the right to bag it after a few days.

There was a strong leaning towards labeling the day a FAIL when she sat on the potty for 30 minutes before dinner without going, then ate her applesauce while I watched pee stream down from her booster seat. The redemption came when Steve got her out of the seat and was cleaning it up. She was standing on the door mat and said, "Daddy clean this", pointing to 2 drops on the mat. He asked if she was going, and when she said "Yes" he took her over to the potty. She was able to stop going and did the rest on the potty. Redemption in my book.

So, I call the day a success

*because of the huge smile when she did go in the potty.
*because she went three times in the potty.
*because she was dry a lot of the times when we asked her.
*because she was dry when I checked on her during non-nap and said she needed to go. (but when I carried her down to the potty, she went in the pull-up)
*because she REALLY wants the Pez candy from the Hello Kitty dispenser.
*because the girl will sit on the potty for 45 minutes!
*because we survived the day without giving up.

Now, Day 2 and church...

1 comment:

cindys said...

sounds like it was a GOOD day! it is exhausting for sure, but that day sounds very similar to our first day!